Hayley’s practice primarily focuses on alcoholic beverage law, labor and employment law, and civil litigation.
As head of the firm’s Alcoholic Beverage law Practice Group, she regularly advises brewery and other craft alcoholic beverage clients in various aspects of the law, including permitting, negotiation, preparation and termination of distribution agreements, defense of ALE enforcement actions, labeling compliance, interpretative guidance, music licensing, liability waivers, festival questions, and personnel matters.
Hayley also regularly advises individual and corporate clients in matters of covenants not to compete, employment discrimination, discipline and termination, harassment, wrongful discharge, wage and hour matters, personnel policies and procedures, and preparation of employee handbooks and employment agreements.
Additionally, she represents both corporate and individual clients in all aspects related to litigation including hearings, depositions, discovery, mediation, arbitration, and trial. Her experience ranges from commercial litigation to personal injury matters.
- Successfully defend employers in U.S. Department of Labor, N.C. Department of Labor, and Equal Employment Opportunity Investigations
- Representation of lender in deficiency action with related lender liability claims resulting in seven-figure settlement for client
- Representation of clients in trials involving serious personal injuries
- Representation of individuals in challenging manner of death decision by North Carolina Medical Examiner
- Representation of alcoholic beverage clients in matters before the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission
- Representation of employers in federal discrimination lawsuit
- Representation of employers in arbitration proceedings
- Representation of town in defending against wage and hour claims
- Representation of corporation in lawsuit involving breach of contract, breach of warranty and unfair and deceptive trade practices
- Negotiations and preparation of distribution agreements for alcoholic beverage law clients
- Drafting and negotiating of various agreements in the employment context, including non-competition agreements, employment agreements, severance packages, employee handbooks, and executive compensation arrangements.
- 28th Judicial Bar
- Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Asheville Alumnus, Class XXVIII)
- Asheville Helpmate (member, board of directors)
- Brewers Association Associate Member
- Buncombe County Bar, Executive Committee
- Colorado Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association—Western District of North Carolina Chapter (member)
- Harry C. Martin American Inn of Court
- North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association—Sections: Labor & Employment Law; Litigation CLE Committee Co-Chair
- Pink Boots Society
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Western North Carolina Human Resource Association